Canning season is approaching fast, therefore I thought I'd talk about a few of the ways that I cut costs on canning jars.
1. Garage Sales – I am in a rural area, therefore I often come across jars at carport sales. These can usually be got very cheaply. The Just previous weekend I purchased over 4 boxes of jars for $20.
2. Family & Friends – Check with family and friends who use to can to see if indeed they still have jars they're no more using. I acquired a number of this way from my Mommy (and lots of other canning products) when I first began canning.
3. Freecycle – Post a notice on your local Freecycle group. I acquired a whole lot of jars this method for free…all I put to do was go decide on them up.
4. Recycle Jars – I often reuse mayonnaise jars and other commercial jars that my wedding rings & lids fit on. I only utilize them in water bathroom canning, as I'm scared they'll shatter in the pressure canner. If you want to buy canning jars, you can also navigate to http://99centbics.com/.
5. Thrift Stores & Flea Market – I occasionally can find canning jars at our local thrift stores & flea market. They cost a bit more generally than all the above ways but remain cheaper than buying new.
6. Clearance – Look out for canning jars on clearance at Wal-Mart toward the finish of the canning season. This past year, I found a number of boxes, bands & lids for lovely cheap.